Author Topic: Wi-Fi Signal Strength?  (Read 469 times)

Offline kmc123

• Kudos: 0
Wi-Fi Signal Strength?
« on: November 03, 2016, 07:18:44 AM »
Does anyone know if there is somewhere in the FPP web interface that shows the signal strength of the Wi-Fi?

I unsoldered the chip antenna from my Pi3 and soldered in an external whip antenna in place of it, but now I want to get a visual of what signal it is getting.

If there is no place to view this - I'd love to make it a feature request - When I run Raspbian I have it in the GUI and it would be cool to see it in FPP so as I move the controller case around in the yard, I could see the signal strength...

Offline Babybear

• Kudos: 2
Re: Wi-Fi Signal Strength?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:38:23 AM »
Yes there is   its in the web page  under troubleshooting.  Mine is running  70/70. 
JimmyG
Rochester, New York

Offline kmc123

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 08:09:22 AM »
Thank You!

I'm also at 70 / 70 in my office - Can't wait to see what it is like in the front yard :)

I think it would be great to have this info on the network page or even the status page (Maybe not real-time if it would be a perf hit, but refreshed every 10 seconds?)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 86
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
Does anyone know if there is somewhere in the FPP web interface that shows the signal strength of the Wi-Fi?

I unsoldered the chip antenna from my Pi3 and soldered in an external whip antenna in place of it, but now I want to get a visual of what signal it is getting.

If there is no place to view this - I'd love to make it a feature request - When I run Raspbian I have it in the GUI and it would be cool to see it in FPP so as I move the controller case around in the yard, I could see the signal strength...
You have some good eyes and good tools for that mod.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »

You have some good eyes and good tools for that mod.
In the troubleshooting section is there also a log of network connectivity?   I want to be able to plug the Pi in the yard where it will be placed and verify it never loses connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
In the troubleshooting section is there also a log of network connectivity?   I want to be able to plug the Pi in the yard where it will be placed and verify it never loses connection.

You can look at the messages.log file which may list connection issues.

If you are looking at a real-time solution, an easier way might be to connect to your home wireless with your phone or laptop and browse to the FPP status page.  The data for the FPP Time displayed on that page is being retrieved from FPP, so if you are browsing the page and the clock stops updating then you've moved the Pi too far.  Or, if you are on a laptop, you could just run a 'ping' to the FPP IP address to see when the Pi is out of range.
-
Chris

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 48
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
There are several apps for smartphones that will measure your wifi.  I have an android phone and one that I use is simply called "wifi analyzer".  I walked around my yard to see how the signal changed depending on my location.  I even get good signal on the side of my house farthest from the router which is mounted on an outside wall in a closet in my wife's sewing room (which is in the front of the house).  My Pi master and the FM transmitter are also mounted in that closet.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
There are several apps for smartphones that will measure your wifi.  I have an android phone and one that I use is simply called "wifi analyzer".  I walked around my yard to see how the signal changed depending on my location.  I even get good signal on the side of my house farthest from the router which is mounted on an outside wall in a closet in my wife's sewing room (which is in the front of the house).  My Pi master and the FM transmitter are also mounted in that closet.
Captain I will try your suggestions. I have used my phone and I always get good speed test results but if I watch the wifi bars on the phone they drop off and get picked back up a lot.  I will try a few more wifi apps as well.  Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk